Answer by Balaji Viswanathan:
Attention spans are getting increasingly hard to attain. Some stuff to improve focus.
- Cut out real time notifications. Do you really need to read the emails rightaway? How about SMS? 99.99% of the notifications are unnecessary.
- Get your inbox to zero. I take a lot of pleasure in getting my email inbox to zero everyday. Be brutal with your email. There are only 3 destinations for an email – trash, archive and task list. The more things on your inbox, more distracted you become.
- Keep only handful of tabs & windows open. Do you really need to have 35 tabs open? Every 30 minutes clean the clutter and close all tabs other than the 2-3 you are really working on. You can always go back to your history and reopen the past tabs.
- Clear your desktop (real and virtual). Clutter begets clutter.
- Take the pomodoro break. Every 30 minutes, take a 5 minute walk. Relax your eyes, mind, back, legs in that 5 minutes. Then get back to work.
Productive kids know that we are on or providing these tips ;-).