Answer by Megha Ghosh:
Here are 15 good things that happened in India in 2012 but didn't receive much attention:
1. On January 4th 2012, India's first online Braille library was launched by the National Institute of the Visually Handicapped.
2. The researchers from IISC demonstrated a complete cure for Alzheimer’s in mice using a plant extract used in Ayurvedic system of medicine
3. Sachin Kukke of Bangalore won the global YouTube Space Lab science competition
4.Eight young scientists won theinstituted by the National Academy of Sciences and Elsevier, a leading provider of scientific, technical and medical information products and services.
5. A rocket designed by the students of ISRO’s Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) was launched in May.
6. A paper on space debris published by Sourabh Kaushal and Nishant Arora, engineering students from Kurukshetra University, got international recognition. They received the Dr. Kalpana Chawla Young Scientist Award 2012
7. 11-year-old skater Rohan Ajit Kokane broke a world record by flattening himself enough to skim under poles just 6.75 inches from the ground.
8. A team of 5 from BIT Mesra, Patna Campus won theat the .
9. Anna University scientists H Abdul Shabeer, RSD Wahidabnu and H Abdul Zubarto developed Cellphone Accident Preventer (CAP) to combat fatal road accidents caused by drivers’ mobile phone use.
10. Ramesh Gorakh Gholap, a physically handicapped candidate,topped the Maharashtra Public Service Commission (MPSC) Main exam 2011.
11. Dr. Aditi Mukherji won the “.”
12. Ashoke Sen, a professor at the, Allahabad, won the first
13. India won the men's and women's Kabaddi World Cup
14. Harine Ravichandran, a 16 year old girl from a small town in South India designed a regulator to stabilize voltage. Her project got special mention in Google Science Fair 2012.
15., an Indian NGO, was chosen for America’s first Innovation Award for the Empowerment of Women and Girls.